Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Chrome Dome

Completed 06/04/2013
 
I love finding new concepts of the familiar TMNT characters, so I was stoked to run across the art of Tom Kyzivat, AKA MurderousAutomaton.

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
I started with a wire armature and did the majority of the sculpt work with Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I used Super Sculpey for the big shoulder piece and the swords. I used resin cast hands and feet with some sculpting modifications. And blister packaging for the helmet blades and sash.

 
Artwork by Murderousautomaton.
Check out more of his work here http://murderousautomaton.deviantart.com/


I had all kinds of drama trying to paint this. I researched for a couple of months to find a way to chrome this piece. Closest thing I could come up with was this spray paint, which looked great... in some spots. After all of the layers I sprayed to get it all even, you couldn't make out any of the detail. So I decided to scrap the paint and hosed it with paint remover. I followed the instructions and let it sit for approx. 20 minutes. By that time the chemicals had completely eaten away all sculpt work except for the Aves. It destroyed all of the super sculpey pieces... so that set me back a bit. I asked around for some advice here and there and finally settled on Game Color Silver Plata.

No comments:

Post a Comment